Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Gardens and Turkeys

We've been working on our garden lately. It is the biggest one we've done ourselves, so far. About 53' X 27'. And yet, I don't know if it will be big enough. I went a bit crazy on the tomatoes and peppers and am not sure if I'll have enough space for the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, squash, and cucumbers I still want to plant. I've marked an area for pumpkins and canteloupe (musk melons) already. Still need to plant them, though.

Yesterday my husband found a broken turkey egg near our barn. We know that one hen was sitting on a nest in some tall grass near the house. He broke the membrane and found an almost, but not quite, fully developed baby turkey. It did not survive. Later, he felt the hen had abandoned the nest, so he gathered the rest of her clutch. He candled them and seeing a dark egg, he cracked it open to make sure it wasn't just rotten. I tried to tell him not to. I was right, baby turkey almost fully developed. Also didn't make it. He took the rest and put them in our incubator. Hopefully they will hatch. He had been noticing random egg shells here and there last week. We're pretty sure something, possibly our dog, was getting into her nest. We have another missing hen. We're hoping she is also sitting on a nest somewhere on the property and will come home with some babies. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment