Sunday, February 8, 2015

My Husband

I am not one who does well with the stench of sickness. There are many things I can handle, but that odor is not one of them. I've thanked God many times in my mothering adventures, that my children are not often sick in such ways and that, when they are, my husband is usually around and handling it, with or without me.

 There are many things I admire about my husband, whether I've conveyed them well, or not, and this is definitely one of them. He has always been good about doing what has to be done, at least most of the time, even when he doesn't want to, doesn't feel like he can (if that ever really happens), or whatever.

This week one of our blessings has been getting sick, often. It has been my husband who has handled the majority of the disasters, leaving me only the responsibility of making sure our blessing is clean and comforted, if even that. In a way, I could easily feel like a bad mom, with how quickly he jumps up to deal with it, whether it happens when we are headed to bed, or it's 3 am. Being the way I am, a part of me does kind of feel like a less adequate parent, but, mostly, I'm thankful. Thankful for his love and care for our children and his willingness to get elbow deep in the muck, when I don't think I can handle it. I also feel proud of him. Proud that he chooses to be an involved dad, where many dads might not. My own dad only changed my diaper, maybe once or twice and I don't know that he ever helped my mom when I was sick. He doesn't handle that stuff any better than I do.

I often forget how involved, loving, and caring my husband actually is, because of his shortcomings. Considering this, makes me realize how expectant I, myself, can be of him. Usually, I only notice how expectant I think he is of me.

It may seem odd, or even kind of gross, but it is in this situation that I am reminded that, as opposite as we are, we compliment each other. Where I am weak, he is strong, and vice versa. Often we forget what a gift this is, when we clash or feel frustrated over each others weaknesses. I'm thankful for the opportunity to see the blessing it really is. Today, I am thankful that I can be grateful for my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment