Friday, June 6, 2014

Just an Update

Apples! One of our apple trees is actually growing some apples this year! I just pray we will get to harvest at least one!

The bees seem to have settled in well, which is fantastic news. I look forward to seeing how our property blossoms with their help. Of course, I'm also excited about the honey!

The sheep are all doing well. We've almost weaned our bottle lamb. All the lambs are getting big. I don't know when we will separate them from the mothers or if I'll even bother trying to milk them. We don't really have a set up for it, yet.

We had 2 turkey hens go missing weeks ago. We assumed they either died, ran off with the wild turkeys, or were actually nesting. It's been long enough now, that I don't think they are coming back. I'm pretty sure at least one was eaten out on our trail. However, our fantastic mother turkey from last year, appears, to be sitting upon a nest in our swamp. Hopefully that goes well. Another hen just went missing this week and I'm hoping that she too has a nest somewhere.

Our chicks are all big enough to run around now. We've locked the run so the big chickens can't get out, but the chicks are all running around. Last I knew, we haven't lost anymore, though. Our neighbor just planted his wheat, which is why our chickens have to stay in the run. However the grass between his field and our property is long enough, the chicks haven't really gone over there.

My gardens are doing ok. I have beans that are actually growing from seeds. Unfortunately all my tomato plants are gone. The broccoli, pepper, celery, and peanut transplants seem to be doing well, though. My strawberry transplants are too. My herbs are looking really good, but I have them potted. I would love it if I could do raised beds next year. I think part of our problem is our rocky, sandy soil.

Our school year is almost over. I'm looking forward to the break, although, I have a lot prepping to do before next fall. I'm excited though.


No comments:

Post a Comment