Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mulberry Lane

    I've recently discovered and abundance of mulberry trees on our property. I knew we had 3 around our swamp and another one or two on our trail. Turns out there a many more than that all around the place! Some will need to be relocated, as they are currently trying to grow against buildings and fences. I'm considering only keeping 4 or 5 of them and selling the rest.

     Last year I cracked my ribs trying to pick the mulberries. I have heard of shaking the tree, but the ones in the swamp have poison ivy growing up them and around their base. I don't know if I am sensitive to it at all, but my husband is. Now that I know there are many more around, hopefully I can get more than 5lbs, this year.  I'd like to try making jam again. Last years mulberry jam ended up more like syrup. And I'm interested in trying a pie. My sour cherry pies from last year were pretty delicious.

     In fact, hopefully I'll have some cherries ready for the picking in a few weeks. I keep hoping to be surprised by more cherry trees. So far, I haven't been.

     At least we've had a bit of rain this summer. I've been horrible about going out and watering my garden. I have broccoli growing and a stalk of corn. Last I knew I had one tomato and 2 pepper plants also. As well as a couple of peanut and celery plants. I may or may not have watermelon and potatoes. Oh and I have some beans growing too.

     In the mean time, I've started bulk ordering produce with a group of friends. Sometimes it's been worth it, other times, it's been a little disappointing. All in all, though, I'm glad we're able to do it. It's nice to know that there is so much healthy stuff my family has so readily available. Now to get them to appreciate it too!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment