Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Kitchen is Open


 Fall is my baking season, as I'm sure it is for many people. Though, I know it isn't technically fall yet, it is certainly in the air. It is in the way the sun sets and rises. In the fog that creeps across our farm, the turkeys returning to the barn for security from the cooler nights and the beginnings of harvesting our animals and garden.

Over the course of the last week or so, I have been in a "homey" mood, I suppose you could say. Meal planning and a daily routine have certainly helped with that. I've been sewing, crocheting, baking, etc...

Though I don't have pictures of my crafting projects, here are some of my delicious treats.


First up, though it looks rather awful, is my attempt at homemade granola bars. I used this recipe: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/no-bake-oatmeal-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-bars/
Granted, I didn't exactly follow the recipe. I used coconut oil instead of butter and maple syrup instead of sugar. My measurements weren't exact either.
In spite of that, this, chocolaty blob, was pretty yummy.




Next up, was pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. We had two little pumpkins that fell off the vine last week. They were ripe enough, so I decided to make some cookies. I followed this recipe: http://www.yammiesnoshery.com/2014/09/chewy-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies.html#more
I did use honey instead of sugar in this recipe, and a little more than 6 heaping table spoons of fresh pumpkin puree. These were also delicious. They barely lasted 24 hours.






                    Of course, working with fresh pumpkins means  you get a bonus... pumpkin seeds! Now, I've never been able to toast the seeds just right before. Then, I found this recipe: http://flouronmyface.com/how-to-clean-and-roast-pumpkin-seeds/ and followed it exactly! (Yes, I actually do know how to follow directions... sometimes. :D ) They turned out perfectly! They made a wonderful substitute for chips this week. I can't wait til we have more.







The last thing I got the itch to make was bread. We were out, and I've been meaning to make some for a while, since I prefer homemade over store bought. I used our copy of "The Bread Bible" and made two loaves of Jewish rye bread. Whether buttered, or drizzled with honey, best if both, this bread was delicious. The two loaves didn't even last a week.      








My second set of loaves were, partially, in honor of National Honey Month, as well as Rosh Hashanah. I used this recipe, and the video link he has, for braiding, http://theadventurebite.com/challah-recipe/
It didn't turn out quite how I expected, and I, obviously, need some work on my braiding skills,  but it was a hit at our homeschool bee day. Again, great with butter and/or honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment