Sunday, March 6, 2016

Old Fashioned Mom

What do you do when you are sick and have 3 rowdy boys tearing apart the house? Same as grandma would've. Make them go outside and play.

My house is the "cleanest" it has been in a while. So cleaned up that, maybe, I can actually try to deep clean it, which I never get to do. The thing is, it only takes these lively fellows seconds to dismantle any progress I've made.

Sometimes, as it does for most everyone else, this burns me up. Lately, though, I have been working on being more mindful. Their capabilities do not show me they are monsters, as some might think. What it does show me is that they are full of stifled energy and creativity and the best place to let that bomb go off is outside!

Yes, it will save me time, trouble, and negativity. It will also give them the opportunity to grow, learn, and bond.

Sure, I could try sitting them down and doing crafty stuff with them, but that isn't the activity for them, right now. Neither is letting them veg in front of the tv or video games. They do that plenty enough as it is.

No, they need to move, to run, to be loud. Their bodies are shouting for use. So, I send them outside, into the cool, fresh, air. Into the land of melting snow and muddy puddles. The land of freedom and adventure, where their imaginations can take them to galaxies far... far away.

As I do, I realize how much, when I am not sick, I need to do the same. I need to get out and play and enjoy life. Somewhere along my life's path, my free spirited, playful self has been locked up and forgotten how. Just as Peter Pan in Hook, I need to remember who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment