Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Not as Planned

So far things are not going as planned

The first step in my plan was to collect 2 dozen eggs and incubate them, starting last week. Sadly, I got just over a dozen. So, I will try again and hope there are enough and that none of them freeze! My goal is to hatch 3-4 batches of chicks. Then, when the time comes, we can process them in successive groups. This should help fill our freezer with our own chicken.

After I've dealt with chickens, I'd like to do the same with our turkeys. Though, I think I'd only bother with 1-2 batches.

There is also the garden planning. I would like to plant a really good, solid, hardy garden this year. Maybe even build some cold frames around the outside of our house, to grow somethings in the winter and/or to use for transplants for next year.

The hope? That we will be more self sustaining in the coming year. The best way to know you're eating quality food is to grow it yourself. The problem? I planned these things thinking that winter was already leaving and God proved me wrong!

I also have some home projects I'd like to do. I have those laid out and am working on the details of how to go about getting them done. I'm pretty excited and can't wait to see what I can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment