Monday, February 22, 2016

The Sugar War

I've often told people, I am less worried about alcohol than I am about sugar. I don't really have a problem saying no to drinking, but no to a cookie, a piece of cake, doughnuts? That is a different story. So for Lent, I decided to reduce my sugar intake, as a start towards a healthier temple, (body.)

Aside from my Mentos slip, and the homemade waffles (2 days in a row) while being out of honey, I've actually be doing pretty good with the decreased sugar consumption. That doesn't mean I haven't itched for a fix from time to time, especially when offered sweet treats. Thankfully the Girl Scout cookies my husband brings home, I've had practice saying no to, but that's a different story.

I haven't really lost any weight, which, being post-partum is somewhat disappointing. (But, hey, I also haven't really started exercising either.) However, I have noticed differences. I have been cranky and irritable, as one would expect with withdrawls of any kind, but I can be that way anyway. What has really been noticeable for me is that I've been less tired and just felt all around better.

Even when sickness made some rounds through our home, recently, I didn't get sick. I feel almost a glowing feeling, like when you hit the 2nd trimester (for me anyway) where you don't feel sick any more but you aren't huge and all that either. Just a healthy glow.

Not only that, but, I've also been a little more adventurous. Today, I tried a date for, what I'm sure is, the first time. It was ok. Sweet enough, but the texture was... not my thing. Refusing to give up, (since I bought 3lbs through one of the local co-ops), I began looking up things to make with them and I'm excited to try some. Really, if I can still have chocolate, I might be ok. hahaha It isn't all sugar I'm wanting to eradicate from my body. After all, our body needs sugar, from fruit and honey and such. My vegetable intake has gone up a little bit, right along with my fruit in take. This, of course, has also helped with my feeling healthier.

The thing is, I like it. For the most part, I'm not missing the treats as much as I expected to. I like the radiance I feel, much more. And I'm realizing that the hunger I often feel, is usually from thirst more than hunger. I've know that for a long time, but to realize and accept that is a different story. Doesn't mean I've gotten much better about hydration, though I have gotten somewhat better.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the coming weeks will bring about, as I continue this journey. Maybe I'll be courageous enough to overcome my sugar addiction and let it truly go. Not returning to start all over again when the season is done. Instead, letting it be the start of a new way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment