Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday, blessed Sunday

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a double ear ache. My oldest dealt with these same symptoms this past week. She's better now, though. I'm praying it doesn't hit me as hard or long as it did her. However, out of courtesy to others at church and since I really didn't feel like being around anyone else, let alone driving anywhere, I decided to let this be a "lazy Sunday". 

My ears and throat are still bugging me, but aside from that, I've had a very blessed Sunday. I started this morning out with my cup of pregnancy tea, admiring the view from the back door, and trying to decide what I should do. I never got around to baking poptarts or muffins yesterday, so I thought that would be a good start.

I had pinned these ideas off of pintrest. Yep, I've been sucked into that portal. I started out with the poptarts since I assumed they'd be quieter to make. The recipe I used came from here:

I went ahead and made my own pastry dough. I'm not very good at making pastry dough, even this easy recipe. My dough didn't want to roll out very well so I ended up with some thicker slabs and I was only able to make 7 poptarts. Then my glaze didn't cover the poptarts quite the way I had expected it to. In spite of that, they turned out deliciously. My kids have decided these must be made again!

Before baking:
 After baking:
Finished with glaze and sprinkles!:
Kids enjoying them, best part of all!:

After the poptarts, I made some strawberry muffins from this recipe:
It seemed like a good healthy choice and I've been trying to come up with healthy breakfast ideas for the kids instead of cereal. I did accidentally forget about them, but amazingly they didn't seem to burn, really. Sadly, I didn't really like the bite I had. I might give it another try later, since I wasn't really in the mood for it to begin with. I'm not big on oatmeal, though. Thankfully, Blessing #1 and #4 (I think that's how I'll refer to my kids from now on) thought the muffins were good. One more thing I can make for them!

Muffins before:
And after:

With breakfast a success, I cleaned up my little mess in the kitchen and went out to check on our sheep. Blessing #4 decided to join me. He is such a great little helper. We checked to make sure they all had plenty of water and were all doing well. Then we checked for turkey eggs, but found none, and fed the cats.

Blessing #4 braving the wind on the way to the barn:
Checking out the lambs:

Here are Dasher and Poppy:

Back in the house Blessings #1 & #2 were playing a computer game together while blessing #3 played a video game on the xbox. Blessing #4 and I decided to paint. I am working on a birth art project that is taking patience and a willingness to wait. It's been a long time since I've done a painting that took more than one sitting. It's not amazing or anything, but it'll be neat when it is done.

Blessing #4 painting:
My painting:

Cleaned up the art mess, although I still need to mop the floor where we painted, and I went out to open the barn door for the sheep to have some outside time. A couple of days ago we let Dark Chocolate, Pepe', and Valentine join the flock. This afternoon Oreo and Brownie got to join them. Sometime next week Clover, Poppy (Blessing #1 finally named her lamb) and Dasher will join the rest. We have another sheep who hasn't given birth. She doesn't have a milk bag. We don't know if she got pregnant later than everyone else or if maybe she isn't pregnant at all.

When I returned to the house I was greeted by my little cave baby. Blessing #1 had taped a rabbit pelt to the shoulders of Blessing #4 like a cape. He ran up to me, as I opened the door, and growled. I made a couple of movies, with help from Blessings #1 and #2, of Blessing #4 acting so silly.

Now I'm off to make some buttered toast as a snack for Blessing #3, who is currently playing a game with an umbrella, while the other 3 are upstairs playing in the girls room. I know I haven't mentioned him much today. He isn't always missing out on what the rest of the family is doing, but I gave him some xbox time today and that's what he's been up to. I've been working on really limiting it, though.

With half the day still left to live, I must say it has been a pretty blessed one already. I look forward to all that we will do with the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment